Monday, April 2, 2012

Yoga for Seasonal Allergies

I just found out a couple of months ago that I have allergies. I've never had them before in my life, so this is quite the adjustment. They have been killing me the past 2 days. At work today people kept thinking I was crying because I was so sniffly, stuffed, and my eyes would leak for no apparent reason. It's horrible! My nose and eyes are itching and I have the most uncomfortable burning sensation.

It's been difficult for me to practice yoga because I've been so congested. My head is just so full of crap that a forward bend sounds like utter hell. BUT I also know that yoga has an answer to everything! I am still learning and I realized that I have no clue what asanas or pranayama to practice to help me get through this. The right techniques will surely help me tame the seasonal allergies, so I turned to Google for help. I scoured the internet and the exercises that popped up the most for treating seasonal allergies are these:

*Inversions- Shoulderstand and Plow pose: good for draining the nasal passages, but don't hold for too long. (Fish pose, the counter to shoulderstand, can also help as it opens and stretches the lungs.) Headstand may prove to put extra pressure on the nasal passages, so this might not be the best pose.

*Relaxation: stress increases the allergic response in your body. Makes sense. Practice corpse pose and focus on long, steady exhales.

*I also read that Mountain pose, Cobra, and Warrior poses can be beneficial.

As far as pranayama goes, there was some debate. Yoga is a very personal practice so experimentation to find what relieves your allergies is key. But as always, do not push yourself! Never force your body to do anything. The two breathing exercises that I kept finding were:

*Breath of fire: can be difficult when you're very congested, but it definitely clears the nasal passages! I did it for about 30 seconds and could already feel an improvement. That's a keeper.

*Alternate nostril breathing: not recommended when congested, especially if one nostril is more clogged than the other. However, alternate nostril breathing is one of the more simple breathing exercises and it's very cleansing. So if you can, do it. (Unfortunately I'm too congested for this one tonight)

I have also been drinking lots of herbal tea and eating plenty of vegetables and fruits. Hopefully I can calm these allergies down in the next day or so!

What are your favorite natural methods to fight allergies?

No comments:

Post a Comment